Sunday, September 5, 2010

Stuffed Shells

Last night I made an AWESOME stuffed shells recipe.  I've never made stuffed shells before, and can't believe how simple they are.  Check out the original recipe at AllRecipes.com


Turkey Spinach Stuffed Shells

  • 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons parsley
  • 2 cups cottage cheese
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 bag of  Homemade Mushroom Sauce 
  • 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet saute, garlic and onions
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente; drain. Rinse under cold water.  (Normally I wouldn't do this, because it causes the sauce to stick better, but you need to be able to handle the noodles)



4.  Drain Spinach. Take a Clean dish towel and squeeze until all liquid is gone


4.  Add ground turkey and cook until evenly brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.  .


5.  Combine spinach, parsley, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese


6.  Remove ground turkey heat and combine with cottage cheese mixture.

8.  Stuff each shell and place into 9x13 pan. I sprayed the pan with Pam

9.  Cover with sauce


10. Top with mozzarella cheese.
11. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 @ Degrees
12. Finish under Broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese



These were definitely one of the best stuffed shells I've ever had.  I never knew I could substitute cottage cheese for ricotta and not know the difference. The only thing I would change next time, is not adding the mozzarella.  It was a bit to much and made it very difficult to get the shells out without loosing the inside.

Now I have enough leftovers to feed an army!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, I saw you on my BlogFrog widget and hopped on over, LOVE your blog (I'm a foodie!) so I followed you everywhere!
    Add your blog to my blog hop so ev1 can find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! How hard is it to stuff the shells? I was thinking about have Audrey help me with a project like this but I might want to try it myself first! I am always trying new recipes with her and thinking I should have figured out what I was doing first. I am definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kathy - Thank you so much!! I would love to add my blog to your blog hop but I am so new at this that I have no idea how to do that! lol!

    @ Kris - I thought that it was going to be a lot more complicated to stuff the shells but as long as you don't over cook the noodles they are really easy to handle and fill. Since you add the turkey to cold cottage cheese, everything is pretty cool. After I stuffed one, I had the hang of it, so I definitely think she could help you the first time you make them. It really was very simple. Let me know how you make out when you make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind Kathy, I figured it out! thank you!

    ReplyDelete